Friday, November 28, 2008

 

Friday Baseball Standings

It's early.

**Another reminder: next Friday is the Battle of Alberta/Five Hole Fanatics meetup at Schanks North (Crowfoot Crossing) in Calgary. As noted, the FAN960 does their "studio work" for Flames road games live from Schanks, so that crew will be there. Which reminds me: Dean Molberg told a hilarious story about that one afternoon last week.

Rob Kerr was in Nashville doing the TV PPV, so Molberg was subbing in as the game host on the radio, and was working from Schanks. In his own words, as best I can recall them:

So it's the postgame show, and I'm on the air with Peter Maher and Mike Rogers who are in Nashville. And this guy, who has obviously been enjoying refreshments for a few hours, kinda stumbles up to the desk and starts talking to me. I ignore him for a few seconds, but he keeps talking, so I point to my headset. I mean, I'm wearing a headset and talking, obviously I'm busy right?

So he shuts up, but stays put. Couple minutes later, we go to commercial, and he's still there, so I take off my headset and say, "What can I do for you?"

He says, "Yeah, uh, I was wondering if you could play some Roy Orbison?"

So I'm somewhat speechless. There hasn't been any music playing for at least four hours. I'm sitting behind a desk marked 'FAN 960'. You'd have to be unbelievably dense to think that I'm the freakin' DJ.

Anyway, I decide, fine, might as well play along. "Sure, what do you want to hear?"

"Uh, uh, Only The Lonely."

"You got it buddy."

So he leaves, and I figure surely to God he'll clue in, or one of his buddies will set him straight. I put the headset on and go back to work.

About 20 minutes later, I'm still on the air, and here comes this same guy veering toward me. I'm watching him out of the corner of my eye, and he gets up to the table and puts a slip of paper in front of me, then turns and goes back towards his drink.

I wait until we hit another break, then I grab this piece of paper and open it up. And here's what it says:
Not trying to be a dink, but I still haven't heard any Roy O

And, that's about when I almost swerved into a parked car, I was laughing so hard. Go Flames.

Comments:

So it's ging to be a good time, clearly.
 


Hilarious when it is so obvious that a man can afford to lose no more brain cells to alcohol. :)
 

Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?