Saturday, October 06, 2007

 

Oilers Game Day: Flyers


One of my friends in Calgary mentioned to me that when he was playing minor hockey in Calgary in the late 70's early 80's, there were five Jason Smiths in the same cohort -- the future captain of the Oilers and Flyers was, by all accounts, the least talented of the five. I'm sure there is some sort of teachable message in there about hard work, etc., but I can't quite put my finger on it.

It sounds like Smith was up to his old hijinx in the Flyers training camp -- fighting his own teammates, 2 fighting majors in a pre-season game, pulling out his teeth for the youngsters, etc. Ahh, we miss you Gator.

Tonight, of course, is the first of a few "emotional" games the Oil will have to endure this season.

I actually like the fact that we have a bunch of young guys in a game like this. Hell, was Gagne even born when Smith broke into the league? "Who's gramps with the C on his chest"?

I'm predicting 4-1 Oil, and Marty gets a deuce with a shortie.

Sidenote: a google images search of "gator" provides some remarkable photos. I thought it was probably too early to pull out the #2 photo in that lot in reference to Smith -- but by tomorrow I figure we can start bagging him in good conscience.

Comments:

I hope a huge cheer goes out every time Gator touches the puck today
 

Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?