Tuesday, April 10, 2007

 

"The State lottery, where everybody wins! (actual odds of winning, one in 380,000,000)"


First, let me add my voice to the chorus in thanking Andy for his splendid work over the year and in wishing him the best for the future. Keep your stick on the ice, Grabia.

Next, I just wanted to point out that today is Draft Lotto Day. That's right Oiler fans -- this is the day we have all been waiting for since starting the Race for the Bottom. Remember, we are guarateed a higher pick than the Flames. In your face Jarmoe!

As usual, the NHL.com site is totally useless if you want to understand how the NHL Draft Lottery works, and as a result I refuse to link to it. Seriously, would it be so difficult to put up some information on this? The TSN site is also surprisingly silent on the affair considering that they are broadcasting it live.

Irish Blues has a decent overview of the rules, potential odds, etc.; but as speeds notes here, "some data on the draft order is incorrect on that page because they changed some draft rules for playoff teams, but there are no changes for non-playoff teams."

Anyway, the Oil has around a 6% chance of winning the lotto, which means they would jump up four spots to take the #2 ball. They have an 81% chance of getting 6th pick, and about a 13% chance of getting 7th. Owing to various arcane rules, they can't get picks 1, 3, 4, or 5.

I'll leave the player speculations for the summer (or at least until tomorrow); but it is worth mentioning a few notable #6 picks: Ryan Smyth, Peter Forsberg, Rico Fata, Daniel Tkaczuk.

Because Smytty and Bergie dragged the Islanders kicking and screaming into the playoffs, the pick we acquired from them doesn't get a ball in the tumbler, and it will probably end up being be #15 (i.e., the highest playoff team pick), unless they manage to carry Yashin to the Eastern Final or beyond, in which case it drops to the 27th-30th depending on where they finish. Our only other 1st round pick (from Anaheim) is likely to be in the 27-29 range if I read it correctly (by no means assured).

In addition to speeds' (speeds's?) post linked above, Hockey's Future has a few other threads on the draft, including this comprehensive whopper.

GOIL!

Labels:


Comments:

Does this mean you're back ?
I do remember one #6 pick, 1980 entry
draft, wow! thaaat would be nice!
 


The Oilers' four #6 picks were Coffey ('80), Smyth ('94), Kelly ('95), Bonsignore ('96)

Oh, boy, I hope that pattern doesn't continue. I still remember my dad getting riled because the Oilers didn't take Doan or Iginla with that pick in '95.

--Doogie
 


45 minutes!
 


Oh, boy, I hope that pattern doesn't continue.

Since I'm pretty sure that I'm the logical next point in that pattern, I'm all for it!
 


Sacamano, you damn dirty liar. I'm stuck staring at the face of Tomas Kaberle right now. Gross. Who the hell runs this place, anyway? You guys suck.

Boy it's nice being back on this side of things.
 


Did Don Taylor really mention that Ryan Smyth is rumoured to be going to the Flames on Sportsnet Connected last night? Apparantly Iggy and Smytty share an agent or somethin'
 


Really? I hadn't heard that. They do share the same agent, but I doubt that counts for anything. I wonder if revenge would motivate it, like when Le GG considered going to Calgary. It would be a huge slap in the face to the EIG, like the Yankees signing A-Rod after the Sox fucked up. Course, most people in this city would turn on Smyth, rather than asking the important question: why can they sign him and we can't?
 


Actually Doogie, I'm pretty sure Bonsignore was drafted #4 in '94, before Smyth.
 


You're thinking of Boyd Devereaux, who Maple Leafs fans currently think is one of the answers for their team...
 


Oilers draft history is here.
 


Flames won't sign Smyth - Stuart and Hamrlik are up this year, Iggy, Kiprusoff and Reghyr next year. And what about Langkow and Huselius?
 


Chicago takes #1 - by virtue of blowing the lead in their last game.
 


Course, most people in this city would turn on Smyth, rather than asking the important question: why can they sign him and we can't?

If it's a revenge signing like le GG would have been, surely the answer would be "because it's a revenge signing" and not "because Cal Nichols bayonets Belgian babies" or whatever was on your mind there. Although I guess receiving the Fan-Mandated Drastic Overpayment and then chucking up 40 points a season for the rest of his career would also be pretty good revenge.

Also, yeah, if Smitty signs with the Flames, he's dead to me, just like Jason Lundmark was until he was traded for the nine thousandth time in six minutes.
 


Six it is. It is going to be fantastic seeing Mudcrutch on the ice. I hope he doesn't turn into the whipping boy, lose his confidence, and get traded for a bag of jock straps.
 


Also, yeah, if Smitty signs with the Flames, he's dead to me

Why, Lord Bob? I thought it was just a business? Surely you can't argue that letting Smyth go made sound business sense, and then hate him for not being loyal to the Oilers? Oh wait. You can, can't you? You'll take your potshots at the guy's numbers,call his contract a drastic overpayment, and then declare that you'll hate him for making a business decision himself. Another fine example of the bipolar Oilers fan.
 


Doesn't matter - he isn't going to sign with the Flames.

So, as Moreau would say, the point is mute.
 


You're thinking of Boyd Devereaux, who Maple Leafs fans currently think is one of the answers for their team...

Shoot, I thought that looked wrong. Thanks for the correction.

I assume you'll be donning #79, MC?
 


That's the plan. The kids on HF are already talking me up, despite the fact that I'm 27 and kind of fat. 30 goals and 40 assists sounds like the consensus.
 


Lord Bob said...

Also, yeah, if Smitty signs with the Flames, he's dead to me, just like Jason Lundmark was until he was traded for the nine thousandth time in six minutes.


Remember that time Jason Lundmark just blew by Brad Gilbert with a toe-drag move?

Yeah, me neither.
 


Potentially silly question: who/what is 73? I get the others, but 73 has me mystified.
 


Why, Lord Bob? I thought it was just a business? Surely you can't argue that letting Smyth go made sound business sense, and then hate him for not being loyal to the Oilers?

Because he would be a Flame, and all Flames are dead to me regardless of hometown affiliation (Jarmoe) or being an alumni of my favourite junior team (Lundmark) or being my favourite Oiler since Marchant left (Smyth). There's nothing rational about it. It's not a "he screwed us over!" reaction. It's a "he is now with the enemy!" reaction.

Frankly, if "unilaterally booing all Flames" is the most bipolar I get as a hockey fan, I'd say that bodes well for my mental stability.
 

Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?