Saturday, January 13, 2007

 

Battle Game Day

Note: don't forget that next Saturday is Battle of Alberta Day, at the UofA Hudson's Taphouse.

It's #5 of 8 in the Battle of Alberta tonight at the Saddledome, part 3 of the Hockey Day in Canada tripleheader (8PM MT, CBC). Tom Benjamin pointed out something I hadn't really thought of: if the governors don't change the schedule format when they meet next, HDIC will have to take a modified format last year. Since the NW and NE divisions are not presently scheduled to play each other at all next season, then the choices become:
It would make me awfully happy to see the Flames step on the Oil's collective neck tonight. While I'm generally pretty skeptical that there are substantiative differences between our respective fan bases, sometimes I still have to look at Oiler fans and go, "What the fuck is wrong with you?"

Since the Moreau and Staios extensions, the writing has kind of been on the wall that Ryan Smyth is not long for Edmonton. Fine. Coincidentally, I've also been noticing a lot more criticism of his play (Jailbreak!) since he came back from his injury. That's fine too, you gotta call 'em like you see 'em, right...

But musing openly that he's playing for his own statistics and his next contract, to the detriment of the team? Are you kidding me? What has Ryan Smyth ever done to deserve an accusation like that, besides take thousands of slashes and crosschecks, lose chiclets, play for Canada about 10 times, etc. etc. etc.?

Next time I read a snarky comment in the Oilogosphere about how some pliant member of the local media is setting the table for K-Lo, I think I'm going to barf. I hope you all get exactly what you deserve, which is about a 10th place finish and another summer where no player who's worth a damn wants to come to Edmonton -- and guess what, it ain't the weather.

For tonight, I'll take a 3-2 Calgary shootout win (Langkow, Lombardi, Smyth, Pisani; Tanguay with the SO winner). Go Flames.

Andy Add-On No one has pissed in my corn flakes today so, unlike Matt, I'm in a pretty good mood. We should have won that game last night. Hot goaltending was the difference. I can live with that. They play like that against the Lames tonight, and they blow them out of the water. As for the substantive difference between Oilers and Flames fans, I'd like to recall everyone's memory to Game 7 between the Flames and the Ducks last year. I believe Cosh said it best:

Congratulations to Anaheim for revealing the true spirit of Calgary. When the Oilers got down by two in what Detroit now calls the Punch In The Face Game, Rexall Place didn't give up. Salei just put the Lames ahead 2-0 and the Sad-dome is a motherfucking tomb. These people don't know whether to shit themselves or cry.

The Sea of Red is a fashion statement.


Prediction:3-1, Oilers. Pisani, Horcoff, Sykora.

Comments:

Yeah, the Rexall crowd never gets down (they're magical), while the Saddledome crowd is only loud enough to get twice as many votes as Edmonton here.
 


Oilogosphere is full of fifth columnists -- but hey at least we have one!

Great argument.
 


Note: don't forget that next Saturday is Battle of Alberta Day, at the UofA Hudson's Taphouse

Sadly, they don't use the apostrophe in "Hudsons. Don't get me started...
 


You are citing The Hockey News as evidence, Matt?
 


Someone has been cut off. Meeoow!!!
 


Heh.

Read the comments from last night Andy - I was loaded but not passed out. Third night in a row out on the town. My aging body hates me.

Especially my liver.

Tonight I'll be watching though.

And Matt, 5-1.

Not all that witty but of course that does say it all.
 


Statisically speaking, Flames fans are dumber and far more likely to be involved in a relationship with a blood relative.

I especially liked how, about 8 games into the year, 90% of Flames fans were screaming to fire the new coach.


So where are these statistics to back these comments up?

At least the Hockey News actually did some research (albeit not the most in depth)...
 


I've also been noticing a lot more criticism of his play (Jailbreak!) since he came back from his injury.

You have? I thought the talk has been all positive about his return. He's put up some great numbers.
 


Tell you what: next time the Rexall crowd roots the Oil back from a 4-goal deficit in the playoffs, I'll give them all the credit they're due. Until then, claiming that the Rexall crowd is superior is a total fantasy (exception: anthem singing, so they got that going for them).
 


Glad to see you guys on the memo on bringing the hate back.

Matt's post was delicious!

For the record: I love Ryan Smyth.
 


mudcrutch79 said...
You must have linked to the wrong game Matt - Vancouver won that game.


Oh, I suppose you think close is only good in horseshoes and hand grenades? It's good in Calgary hockey too. That 5-4 loss was a moral victory.

Matt's motivations are transparent here, but I'll address the Smyth thing anyway. I think Oiler fans are overreacting on this one. I think Smyth's playing the same way he always does. He gets his outscoring results by generating offense not by stifling the opposition. I think he's getting some unfair criticism from people who forget that.
 


Mudcrutch, you're full of it. Just full of it. I was in the crowd last week in the Florida game. The home side was without it's best player and had just gone down 2 with 4 minutes left on an appalingly soft goal.

And the crowd started roaring. And the roaring did not stop until long after the winning goal was scored in overtime.

And, I've never dated my sister.

Happily, the crowd won't have to cheer the boys to a come back tonight ... should be a comfortable 4-0 win.

go Flames.
 


This isn't a comment on the people of this blog, but Flames and Oilers fans calling each other out for their, um, "enthusiasm" is like "paint" calling "grass" boring.
Do people still get arrested in the Saddlesore for yelling at referees? Do lower-bowel (intentional misspelling) fans in the Gretzarium still stare and tell you to sit down when you stand up and cheer a great play?
As I'm sure anybody here has figured out, it is a lot more fun to watch a game on TV with your pals, your beer and whatever insults you want to hurl. With the advent of HDTV, frankly, I don't know why anyone would bother going to a game.
 


Until then, claiming that the Rexall crowd is superior is a total fantasy (exception: anthem singing, so they got that going for them).

Like I said in my addition to your post: Game 7, Flames vs. Ducks. No Flames fan should ever taunt another team's fans after that embarrassment.

As for Smyth, Matt's intentionally stirring the pot. People have been fawning over Smytty all year.
 


I think Matt's just sore that he lost to MC79 in the Hot-Off. GOILERS!
 


hey Rexall is louder than the Saddlesore, wanna know why?
because King Ralph said so and he's Flames fan!

"I'm not sure they're better fans, but they're certainly louder"
-Ralph Klein, former Premier and Mayor of Calgary and Flames fan on Oilers fans in the playoffs

And yes, louder=better

Go Oil!

Jordan
 


This is not the kind of mindless fan cannibalism that really requires an intervention from the lower end of the province's GI tract, but if we ever do need a reminder of Ryan Smyth's history with the Oilers and Team Canada we'll try to remember to look you up.

He also advocated Daymond Langkow for the All-Star game yesterday, so you have to know he's been stoned for at least the past 30+ hours.
 


Cosh found the wrong "heavily qualified" criticism in that first thread, the one I was referrring to was:

"Has Ryan Smyth cherry picked the way he is now since 1997? Given that he's a UFA and demanding big dollars, it's something that's really starting to get under my skin."

But no matter. Can I interpret all this general scoffing as a prediction that Oil fans aren't going to eat Smyth when he and the Oilers finally part ways? I'd like that on record.

My suspicion is that it'll be same old, same old: faults exaggerated, strengths minimized, and a general sense that he ought to have made more sacrifices to stay in Edmonton.
 


Hmm being an Oiler fan trapped in Cowtown I can testify to the average intelligence of the typical Flame fan.

The chanting the Oilers suck seem to be the only thing that they can get together on. I have been to only 3 BOA games at Rexall\skyreach\Coliseum. Oddly I go shortly after a name change so please rename the joint then I can score tickets once again. But I don't recall the chanting the Flames suck?
The Flames fans did not take kindly to the suggestion the Oilers consider them a speed bump on the hockey highway as we know when the money is down they have a history of folding.

Raffi get's the Gordie Howe trick tonight... Oilers 4-3

Happy Hockey Day to All
 


Matt,

I criticized the guy. He's been playing high. So has almost every other Oiler forward this season, which I also stated. It's something that I don't like seeing a guy do more often than not, because it's usually the wrong play.

It's a fact that he's been playing high. Higher than years past? Eh, maybe. I love what he brings to the team and would hate to see him play for another team, but that doesn't mean he's a perfect player who makes no mistakes and does no wrong.

Also, I appreciate that you managed to quote one (short) comment, and then ignore the one that came a mere two hours after.

Thanks for coming out though, hopefully the Flames have a better excuse tonight than the Broken Stick when the Oilers walk out of the dome with two points.
 


OiiiiilerrrrrrrzzzOiiiiilerrrrrrrzzz
 


pdo, no need to explain, you were clearer the first time. The Broken Stick reset was funny though, I had almost forgotten about that.
 


But no matter. Can I interpret all this general scoffing as a prediction that Oil fans aren't going to eat Smyth when he and the Oilers finally part ways? I'd like that on record.

My suspicion is that it'll be same old, same old: faults exaggerated, strengths minimized, and a general sense that he ought to have made more sacrifices to stay in Edmonton.


What exactly do you want from us? I doubt anyone wants him to go, but nor should we sign him at any cost.

I wouldn't predict that but it's not the people who hang out at IOF who will be doing that.

That horse you sit on is pretty high, eh?
 


I think Smyth totally won that face-off. Could someone get some video of that?
 


Who dresses Playfair? That suit is horrendous.
 


The suit's the only thing you can think about?

I can understand why.
 

Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?