Wednesday, June 21, 2006

 

Survey

Question for the Oiler fans:
  1. What kind of contract ($$/length) is Pisani in line for?
  2. Should the Oilers give it to him? And if not, what's the max. that K-Lo should lay out to keep him?
There's plenty to love about Fernando: strong EV player, can play with anyone, hometown hero, plus that little matter of his fourteen freakin' playoff goals, several of which were ridiculously huge. (The G5 OT winner in the Finals probably tops the list, but if he hadn't taken the team on his back in G6 against the Wings like he did, the party might well have been over six weeks earlier).

In fact, there's nothing not to love; it's just that you can only pay a guy so much to score 20-something goals in an 82-game season.

I'll start the guessing at three years/$7.5M ($2.5M per), and Yes, Lowe has to pay that. A four year/$12M offer from another club is about the point where Lowe has to walk away. No?

Comments:

I'm still a week away from being able, and interested in talking about hockey items right now. Good question though.
 


I was thinking more like 1.8M is probably likely range...

That would be triple his current deal... I don't see him getting close to 3M

I like him too him... I'd be suprised/sad to lose him

I think he wants to stay

By the way, I was at the final game in Raleigh. It was crazy-loud. Lots of fellow oilers fans there too.
 


Like I said earlier, I doubt Pisani leaves Edmonton for more money. His mom makes him dinner for game days. He's a homegrown momma's boy. Now that I actually looked it up though, my previous post is incorrect. He wasn't undrafted, just drafted in the 8th round. Either way, he gets a reasonable raise and stays in Edmonton.

As for the 20 goals thing, I honestly think he could score more if given the icetime and linemates, but I don't see that happening.
 


Globe and Mail on Saturday - Duhatschek said that the Oilers believe that the playoffs were more of what they feel he is capable of then the regular season.

If that is what they feel then he is going to get paid (2M per I say) and get the opportunity to score as well.
 


This has the potential of a Carlos Beltran situation.

Some team could go overboard with length and cash, and as much as I like him I hope the Oilers don't put down $4M+ on Pisani and have him score 15 regular season goals.
 


I hope the Oilers don't put down $4M+ on Pisani and have him score 15 regular season goals.

But if they don't do that, how else do they plan on replacing Mike Peca?
 


I'm inclined to believe he's worth about 2 to 2.5 mil depending on the length of the deal. Playoff performance aside he still has yet to prove that he can play the level he did in the playoffs in the regular season. On a side note the Oiler's don't get into the playoffs without Peca on the team, while his offensive performance probably wasn't up to the 4 mil it defenitly wasn't money wasted. He's on a level of his own when it comes to being a all around player.
 


I think Ferando probably stays for about 2.5 million which is a nice little raise for him. Though with having to ante up on Ferando, Horcoff and Hemsky the Oil really aren't going to be able to bring in much in the way of free agent talent. This would bother me if I wasn't bullish about our current prospects and young players. I'm fairly certain we can play Shremp, Pouliot and Mikhov at entry level contracts and all of them will be at the very least adequate contributors at the NHL level.
 

Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?